Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thirty Little Wonders

"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather,
always bring your own sunshine."
- Anthony J. D'Angelo -


We live in a world and an era marked by chaos and catastrophe, so sometimes it's necessary to find contentment in the small, everyday aspects of our lives. Here are thirty of my little wonders in no particular order - places, things, and ideas that can crack a smile.


ONE. (Non-alcoholic) Italian Soda
I usually get mine with Irish crème or hazelnut flavoring. Yummy :).

[retrieved at gremolata.com]

TWO. Evening strolls after a fresh snowfall
You know those nights when the clouds drop a clean batch of snow, leaving the sky a purple-gray hue? Even at midnight, it's light outside - light enough for a walk through the calm and quiet.

THREE. Amazing soundtrack music
Sometimes songs are good simply because of the rhythm and type of instruments used. Even without poetic words, they have the power to tell a story or evoke a certain feeling.

FOUR. The Zoo
Must I say anything? Some of the most beautiful, fierce, bizarre (and of course ADORABLE) animals are all in one place. So cool.

FIVE. Sidewalk chalk
Since going to college, I've managed to grow older and younger simultaneously. I have a new appreciation for childhood pastimes :).

[my artwork :)]


SIX. Summer thunderstorms
 Although I prefer sunshine on a regular basis, I definitely love a good storm. For some reason, rain doesn't seem dreary in the summertime; it exudes an interesting combination of strength & power and peace.

SEVEN. No-bake cookies
The perfect blend of chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal - and in no time at all :D.

EIGHT. Television from the 90s and early 2000s
You all know what I'm talking about. While there are some quality shows on today, nothing can beat the family-esque sitcoms (Boy Meets World!!!) and awesome animated cartoons (Hey Arnold!!!) of the good ol' days.

[retrieved at disneydreaming.com]

NINE. Collecting seashells
Buying shells from a gift shop is nice and all, but I prefer walking along the beach, bare feet in the tide. Some of the best souvenirs are the ones you don't buy.

TEN. Rainbow Sharpies
Anything involving colorful writing utensils is right up my alley :P.

ELEVEN. Coexistence
It's wonderful and necessary. Diversity should bring the world together - not tear it apart at its seams.
 TWELVE. Obstbaum Orchards
This is an incredibly cozy cider mill (located in Salem, Michigan) with equally incredible doughnuts. I'm madly in love with fall, and what better way to relish the autumn season than to share cider and warm doughnuts with your family on a crisp, sunny afternoon?

THIRTEEN. Witty banter & sarcasm
I truly enjoy clever remarks.

FOURTEEN. Surf City Squeeze smoothies
Delicious. If you're feeling healthy, I recommend strawberry banana or apple peach! If you'd like to go another route, Snickers and Butterfinger are quite acceptable, as is the pumpkin pie smoothie :).

FIFTEEN. Songwriting... and words in general
When I was younger, I dabbled in poetry and songwriting. As I got closer to college, I couldn't find the time or patience to write the way I wanted to. I have a bad habit of writing the verse of song - feeling completely inspired and energized - and then never writing the chorus.

 [retrieved at fanpop.com]

SIXTEEN. Pilates
A good workout program that allows you to use your body alone to tone and strengthen. You've got sweat and relaxation without the giant muscle guys grunting next to you.

SEVENTEEN. Italian & Indian cuisine
It's just good. What more is there to say?

EIGHTEEN. Scarves
They're a cute and useful accessory, whether you're a Muslim hijabi or not :).

[retrieved at guccifiedfor5.wordpress.com]

NINETEEN. Good conversation
I love when you're able to have a meaningful discussion with friends. It's more beneficial than relentless gossiping, and it can give you a sense of intellectual gratification.

TWENTY. Cedar Point
Gotta love that stomach rush and feeling of pure freedom. And it's not too bad for people-watching, either :P.

TWENTY-ONE. Scenic artwork
This includes both photography and paintings. I can't get enough of artsy depictions of places and their beauty.

TWENTY-TWO. Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm
All-natural and works so well. You become an addict forreal yo.

TWENTY-THREE. Olga's Snackers
To be honest, I don't like the menu at Olga's too much, but their Snackers (along with the white bean chicken chilli and orange cream cooler) are almost to die for. Not quite, but pretty darn close.

TWENTY-FOUR. Two-toned flowers
I'm talking specifically about roses and lilies. Pretty beyond words :).

[flowers I got for my mom]

TWENTY-FIVE. Scrapbook stickers
Perusing the arts&crafts aisle at stores makes me want to start scrapbooking. I worked on a creative project this summer, and I cannot explain how much fun I had with the stickers.

TWENTY-SIX. Anything fuzzy
Seriously. I think my "Nap Cuddle Blanket" sums it up right there.

TWENTY-SEVEN. Watching a meteor shower
It seems so romantic. In reality, I saw all of seven shooting stars when I witnessed a meteor shower, but it was still wonderful. You absorb the silence and allow the night to put on a show with its images and sounds.

TWENTY-EIGHT. Breathtaking books
 Books that pull you in... that captivate you from start to finish... that leave you with goosebumps (the good kind). I'm not talking about intense action or suspense, but about amazing stories of realistic fiction. The diction and syntax are fantastic, and the characters seem tangible. Even if you can't relate to the situations and events that take place, you can relate to the emotions experienced. Check out Khaled Hosseini and Jhumpa Lahiri :).

[retrieved at betweenthetimes.com]
 
TWENTY-NINE. Homemade gifts
Over the last several years, I've started making presents for loved ones. Sure, I still buy some stuff, but I always supplement those purchases with more meaningful gifts - gifts that have taken a lot of time, energy, and heart.

THIRTY. Love
Arguably the greatest thing that God has given to humanity. 


Embrace.

3 comments:

  1. I was about to make a list of all the ones I love and agree with but there were too many! <3 You are a fantastic person. That hijjabi is SOOO gorgeous mA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zain - Yes, super incredible :D (Boy Meets World!)

    Nishat - Thank you so much, and thank you for your comment on the other post, too! We should get together when school starts :)

    ReplyDelete