Sunday, October 24, 2010

Scarves and Sneakers

"Islam is not a state of being, but it is a process of becoming."
- Yusuf Islam -


How would you describe a Muslim? 
Do you look at complexion, the color of skin?
Do you identify a bearded man or a cloaked woman?
Do you listen for accents and a foreign tongue?  
What does a Muslim look, speak, and act like?

A Muslim is someone who submits his or her will to God. Islam is often portrayed as a foreign and exotic religion, when in truth, it is a faith as diverse and portable as the Judeo-Christian traditions to which Americans are so accustomed. Individuals from Malaysia, Iran, and Morocco to France, Canada, and Brazil are united by a simple testimony of faith. There is no face of Islam, but there are faces. Nearly one in five human beings has an immense love for Allah. But this is no strange, distant God; this is the same God worshiped by Jews and Christians in all corners of the earth. The power of the name Allah lies in its translation of "One God" and the inability to grammatically alter the word in an attempt to pluralize or specify gender. Simply put, there cannot be gods or goddesses in Islam - only the One God Who loves us, tests us, and shows ceaseless mercy.

All Muslims have a distinct background and appearance. They differ in interests and career goals, and they each have a very unique and personal expression of their religious beliefs. In the United States, an "American Muslim" identity is called a contradiction, a paradox of sorts, as if we are strangers in this country - intruders entering someone else's home. But we're neighbors, not strangers. And we're not a monolithic people who can be placed in a box and be easily defined by the media. In fact, as scholar Edward Curtis IV explains, we're anything but that:

“[Muslims] have been part of America since before the republic was founded. Their contributions – some famous, some unknown – have changed the course of the nation’s life. They contributed their labor to the nation’s economic success in the nineteenth century. They produced some of the country’s most memorable slave narratives. They served in the U.S diplomatic corps and in the U.S. military. They published newspapers in the 1920s, created new forms of jazz in the 1950s, and changed the history of boxing and basketball. They healed people, sang to them, and fed them. These historical memories suggested a different future for Muslims and non-Muslims in the United States, one that recognizes the inevitable interdependency of all Americans and offers the hope that understanding and compassion among us might yet prevail.” 

My name is Erin, and I'm Muslim. And, I'm also American. I was born and raised here, as were my parents and grandparents. This is who I am, and this is my home. I'm Caucasian with Irish, German, Welsh, and Scotch-English roots. So far in my lifetime, I've been a student, a research assistant, a runner, a dancer, a pianist, an editor, a volleyball player, an ice skater, and even a sharpshooter in target riflery. I adore laughter and books & films that give me chills. I would watch Boy Meets World, eat a Reese's Cup, and ride the Top Thrill Dragster on a weekly basis if I could (though probably not in that order). I love music and words. I want to inspire and be inspired. Do I fit your mold? 

As a convert, people may wonder if I plan to change my name and thoroughly relinquish my identity. But we can't change who we were. That's done. We can only change who we are and constantly strive to better ourselves. By adopting the Deen (Islamic way of life), I am not required to toss aside the entirety of my culture and heritage. Islam doesn't enter one's life as a cosmic bulldozer, ready to destroy the structure of a person's past identity; it builds on the foundation that's already there, renewing, renovating, and creating a stronger and more beautiful you. 

It truly is a process, and anyone can embark on the journey.
Even in blue jeans, a scarf, and sneakers.

Embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment