Friday, June 1, 2012

Created to Be

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
- Mother Teresa -

 "Be"

Terrorism, oppression, and East-West dichotomy:
Those are their thoughts when they see this hijab

But in the mirror, I stand as a woman to unveil hypocrisy
Home of the brave, land of the free
Why do they lack the courage required to stop defining me?

I am not a representation of my entire race
Nor a reflection of the ummah's breadth

But I am trapped in a single time and space
Where ignorant words and actions serve to disgrace
Me, my past, my religion, my birthplace

Yet as I turn to my brothers and sisters in faith
I don't always find opens hands and hearts

Because some hold their gaze in disdain
At my fashion, my diet, my music, my "American" ways
Shaking their heads at cultural distaste

So I speak on my behalf in negotiation
Sharing thoughts that I will own

Humanity has handed me psychological reparations
But I refuse to waste energy over a lack of appreciation
Wrestling with reactions that cloud me in frustration

Am I not white enough...
Muslim enough...
American enough...
Good enough?

Enough is enough.

Who are you to tell me who I am?

I am this heart, this soul, this mind, this body
All that I was created to be.

1 comment: