Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Why I Love Islam... But Not Always Muslims


“Those who show no mercy to others 
will have no mercy shown to them by Allah.”
- The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) -


Yesterday was a day of extreme pain for some, of remembrance and patriotic sentiment for all. Yesterday marked the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy, and though it was filled with prayers, heart-wrenching photographs, and national moments of silence, it was tainted by cruel actions abroad: Violent anti-American protests in Libya and Egypt over an ignorant film made about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Islam is a tradition and way of life, and I am so blessed to have embraced it, but I cannot always extend that same warmth to my fellow Muslims. An absence of love does not imply a presence of hate, and I will try to refrain from despising anyone, including the "Muslims" who are responsible for yesterday's destructive and deadly attacks at the U.S. embassies. I will also bite my tongue when I feel the urge to yell, "They aren't really Muslim!" You see, the minimal requirement to be a follower of Islam is the acceptance of and belief in the Shahadah (translated: There is no god but Allah (One God), and Muhammad is the Messenger of God). Whether or not an individual travels beyond this and chooses to pray, fast, repent, act charitably, adopt humility and modesty, and so on and so forth is his or her choice. This decision is not something I can judge, as I have been created. Only the Creator has the knowledge and power to look inside one's heart and judge the intention of one's words and actions.

So while I cannot clearly determine the sincere Muslims from those who lack sincerity, I can say that it is challenging to call radical and violent people my brothers and sisters in Islam. How can they be my brothers and sisters in Islam if they intentionally harm my brothers and sisters in humanity - especially innocent people? How is it justifiable to take anger at one filmmaker (and a group of his supporters) and then target the entire American Public and its politicians... and on a day of extreme mourning? 

The simple answer is: It's not. The more complex answer is: It's not, but it happens anyway, and what are the ramifications?

American Muslims have spent over a decade trying to defend themselves and the religion they follow, trying to break any attachment to the 9/11 attacks that have been formed in the minds and imaginations of many. We must be proactive, showing people the truth about Islam through our good character and by engaging in da'wah (educating other about Islam) and interfaith dialogues to help non-Muslims understand our beliefs, our practices, and our shared commitment to social justice. We must not be apologetic, but we must also refrain from being polemic.

It is necessary that I state my condemnation of the anti-Islamic film created by a man calling himself "Sam Bacile," but I must equally condemn the responses of those radical Muslims in North Africa. I am even a bit frustrated with Mitt Romney's criticism of the Obama Administration's statements, which spoke of religious tolerance and respecting Islamic beliefs (I would argue that making such a statement, Mr. Romney, does not "sympathize with those who waged the attacks," as the statements were intended for the Muslim community as a whole, not just the extremist attackers). I'm upset over Bacile's actions, but seeking revenge on innocent Americans is not acceptable. Being vengeful is not being proactive.

I love Islam. I love the teachings about mercy and forgiveness. I love the way in which arrogance is considered the worst of all vices. I love the belief that men and women are spiritually equal before God. I love the emphasis on patience and perseverance. I love the respect granted toward all prophets and messengers. I love the intimate connection with God established through prayer and fasting. I love the notion that we are not tainted by Original Sin. I love that we are judged by our intentions. I love the cultural diversity. I love the logic behind the boundaries and regulations established. And so much more. 

But I do not always love Muslims.

Some might argue that one cannot have religion without adherents, as the latter serve as expressions of said religion. I can empathize with that proposition, but it needs a very important qualification: Islam and Muslims can be separated when humans act in a way that clearly contradicts the divine words of the Qur'an, or in a way that goes against the characteristics and values espoused by the Prophet (peace be upon him). After all, the Qur'an and Sunnah provide the framework for our understanding of Islam as a comprehensive, all-encompassing way of life. Yes, it is true that even the divine must be interpreted by humankind, but, as a religious studies minor, I know that is a can of worms best saved for another time. My point is not to debate over sacred text or interpretation, but to make it clear that Muslims have, across space and time, done things that are not supported by Islamic teachings (or by the majority of the world's Muslim population). This includes murder, suicide-bombing, and various forms of oppression.

At the end of the day, whether that day happens to be the anniversary of a national catastrophe or any other Tuesday, people will behave in unfortunate ways. Some will create films and other forms of media out of utter ignorance and prejudice; some who say they believe in the Shahadah will commit deplorable acts of unnecessary retaliation. Let these experiences humble us and help us - Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists, or whomever else - seek knowledge and make peace.

Embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment