"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering
itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of
its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter
with God and with eternity."
- From The Alchemist -
(Personal Photo: Please do not copy without permission)
"Bittersweet"
I've been dreaming in color
Magenta sunset clouds
Silvery purple snowfall skies
But in real life, it feels like black and white
Like ancient times
Since we've shared laughter or songs
Brief walks, long talks
Sincere thoughts not comprised of
Phrases like Band-Aids
A temporary fix
Serving only to sugarcoat
Not to heal wounds beneath the surface
When do moments become memories,
And memories just scrap paper?
A box that was once a treasure chest
Now piles of letters and photographs
My head's in the future
My heart's in the past
And the Present, is a no-man's land
It's like playing pretend all over again
Adapting a child's imagination
To fit this time and this space I am faced with
A bittersweet taste when clichés
Are taken down like coffee
Forced to swallow a stronger and darker reality
But you know what they say...
Better than never having experienced love
Is to have loved and lost
But a person isn't like a doll
There's no price tag defining his value or worth
No space in closets or drawers when there's unbearable hurt
To store, until needed, that love and comfort...
Yet perhaps the sentiment isn't all that different
After all, we create meaning
And attach significance
And in the midst of change, we find our constant
And over time, we outgrow objects...
And sometimes, people, too.
Lessons aren't always learned inside classrooms
Where we learn how to deliver well-rehearsed lines
But not how to convey and describe
The joy or heartbreak one has brought to our lives
Where we're taught basic rules of arithmetic
But not how "1+1" doesn't always equal 2 elements
When "1+1" can still feel like loneliness
And where we memorize bonds and chemical properties
But fail to comprehend human chemistry
The strength of connections as they ebb and flow endlessly
Sometimes God's the best teacher
And the universe, the best setting...
We walk toward forgiveness
But stumble on forgetting
All the pain that's bottled up
And stored at room temperature
That lingers long after we thought it was empty
Hollow like my heart feels
Though I know my soul is whole, and it longs to heal
I've been dreaming in color...
Gazing into familiar eyes
Hearing a voice that once evoked a smile
And now echoes in the distance
As I awake to sunlight
And await the vibrant colors of a new life.
Who or what broke your heart? Chin up, chica ;) It gets better.
ReplyDeleteYour post reminded me of the time after my divorce. I know that feeling of hopelessness, desolation, and meaninglessness. Someone had scorched my trust, my dreams, my heart, and my soul... I truly believed that I had already experienced the best of God's plan for me and that I'd have nothing to look forward to...About eight months later, I met my now husband. Whenever I think about our children and the obstacles we have overcome, I remember how I'm experiencing a kind of love and peace that I could not have dreamed of then :) Give yourself time. You will find peace.
God Bless
Thank you for your words and for sharing your story, Nicky. This poem was actually written in December 2013 and has to do with an event that occurred a year ago and was the culmination of quite a few years. Many of my posts, but in particular my songs and poetry, reflect my spirituality and themes related to hardship and the growth that results from hardship. I am beginning to move forward with my life.
ReplyDelete