Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sink or Swim?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it."
- Confucious -


If you've ever watched Titanic, your reaction probably falls into one of three categories:
1. Sighing/squealing/crying/yelling at the television (girls)
2. "Chick flick. Ew." (guys)
3. Subtle appreciation for the epic-ness... and for one artistic scene in particular (guys)

Alright, alright. So maybe that's a bit stereotypical of me. But how often do you hear a guy mention a viewing of Titanic when making his Saturday night plans?

All jokes aside, I have to say that the list of amazing qualities for this film is endless, as it always leaves me shaken to my core. Regardless of your preference - whether you're a hopeless romantic, history buff, or someone who craves a movie packed with action and drama - you're a member of the human race, and Titanic is a story built around our humanity. It examines a tragic event while magnifying fictional characters who must cope with realistic hardships and whose thoughts and feelings onscreen are nearly tangible. It looks at human fallacy and the consequences associated with the free will God has granted us, as we are held accountable for the choices we make.

But if that sounds utterly depressing, think again, because the characteristics that make such a story seem somber and heart-wrenching are the very reasons I can appreciate it. You see, it has the power to make you feel something. On a personal level, it serves to remind me of a notion I firmly believe in: Everything happens for a reason. God has divinely measured my life - the number of years I have in this world and the various situations I encounter. He's created the road map and knows where I've been and where I'm going, but He's given me a chance to sit in the driver's seat, to make a left here and a right there and to react.

Everything has its beauty, even if it's short-lived. (And if you've seen Titantic, you'll know what I mean). Life is short - too short not to make the most of our time. Love conquers all; faith can get you through anything; and letting go isn't synonymous with giving up. You can choose to sink... or choose to swim without taking a single moment for granted.

So as I snuggled on the futon in a fuzzy pink blanket, humming along to the soundtrack (and later, belting out Celine Dion) with my friends, I wasn't ashamed of my girly antics. Even if tomorrow had never come, I would've cherished those last hours for a lifetime.

Embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment