"When you judge another, you do not define them; you define yourself."
- Wayne Dyer -
I wrote this as my first attempt at slam poetry, so each line has a very distinct rhythm and emphasis. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it'll be the same on paper, but what is there to lose?
"Kaleidoscope"
Gaze.
When you look, look in me -
Not at me, not through me, not back at me as you turn your back on me and walk away
Amazed.
By the depth of your stare -
But the lack of detail, of knowledge
So unaware of your portrait's missing hues
Allow me to cue you in:
That glance produced a mere sketch
A scribble to the right, a smudge on the left
An outline of what's inside, so out of line, access denied
Just a passerby... seeing a single shade
The green on my scarf, the white on my face
A world torn apart - seam ripped, edges frayed
All because you judged me.
Drawing preconceived notions with ignorance
Painting tainted construals of arrogance
Connecting dots using narrow-minded measurements
The product so precise, yet so inaccurate...
I'm a masterpiece.
But you stripped away my layers
Oversimplified complexity
Picked apart my colors
Dissecting my kaleidoscope being
I'm more than my style, my complexion
Full of weakness, imperfection
As strong and resilient as I am blemished...
I am human.
And you and I, we're two hearts the same
Two hearts of humanity
Two souls, two brains
But your vantage point is flawed.
See, violence is vogue; the new fashion is injustice
You wear it so well, accessorizing with destruction
As you break a person down -
As you criticize and scrutinize and hate
Or turn a blind eye and fail to relate
To reach out your hand before it's too late
Because your permanent ink will surely leave marks.
So gaze.
And when you look, look in me -
Not at me, not through me, not back at me as you turn your back on me and walk away
Be amazed.
Eyes closed and heart wide open
Learn to accept, to respect, to appreciate...
To love.
Awesome, this is really good mA
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ismail :)
ReplyDeleteMashAllah I enjoyed reading this, you have a way with words (:
ReplyDelete