"For her, every day was the same, and when each day is the same as the next,
it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives
every day that the sun rises."
- The Alchemist - How often do you stop and smell the roses? My recent trip to Europe gave new meaning to this old expression, as I realized that the recognition of and appreciation for the beauty of life is something sans expiration date.
Wait a second... Didn't you just publish a post outlining your bucket list?
Yeah, that's right. I made a list of things I'd like to do or achieve before my life in this world comes to an end. The thing is, I believe in the afterlife and the potential to witness the beauty of God's creation eternally. The Holy Month of Ramadan is quickly approaching, and by making physical sacrifices throughout the month, we can transcend these basic needs (food, water, sex) and work on fulfilling our spiritual ones. After all, our spirituality and taqwa will determine our position in the Hereafter.
For me, fasting serves three main purposes: To celebrate and commemorate the first revelation sent to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), which Muslims believe occurred during the lunar month of Ramadan; to discipline ourselves and learn patience, gratitude, empathy, and compassion; and to act as a reminder that our character is the one thing for which we are judged, so we must constantly work on improving it.
I find that gratitude is one of the greatest lessons reaped from fasting. It only seems natural that, having given something up, we would then feel more thankful for its presence in our life. And perhaps the act of sacrificing something basic and essential like water helps us appreciate that which isn’t essential for survival, yet enhances our contentment beyond measure, like the company of good friends.
Traveling to Europe this summer was absolutely wonderful, and as I recall two of my favorite memories, I view them as spiritual signs. In London, we spent an evening in the borough of Westminster, by Big Ben and the Thames River. We rode the London Eye, a Ferris wheel-like structure used for sight-seeing, and had a breathtaking view of the city at dusk. I watched the progression of the sunset as buildings lit up and the city exuded a paradoxically hushed energy. Gazing at the river with its deep navy hue, I felt the breeze brush against my scarf and listened to the harmony created by countless tongues. There was something so awesome about the cultural diversity present in London and at that moment, especially. All of us, though different in appearance, faith, and spoken language, were sharing this experience.
I find that gratitude is one of the greatest lessons reaped from fasting. It only seems natural that, having given something up, we would then feel more thankful for its presence in our life. And perhaps the act of sacrificing something basic and essential like water helps us appreciate that which isn’t essential for survival, yet enhances our contentment beyond measure, like the company of good friends.
Traveling to Europe this summer was absolutely wonderful, and as I recall two of my favorite memories, I view them as spiritual signs. In London, we spent an evening in the borough of Westminster, by Big Ben and the Thames River. We rode the London Eye, a Ferris wheel-like structure used for sight-seeing, and had a breathtaking view of the city at dusk. I watched the progression of the sunset as buildings lit up and the city exuded a paradoxically hushed energy. Gazing at the river with its deep navy hue, I felt the breeze brush against my scarf and listened to the harmony created by countless tongues. There was something so awesome about the cultural diversity present in London and at that moment, especially. All of us, though different in appearance, faith, and spoken language, were sharing this experience.
[All rights reserved. Please do not copy without permission.]
"And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the variations in your languages and your colors: Verily in that are Signs for those who reflect." (30:22)
[All rights reserved. Please do not copy without permission.]
"See you not that Allah sends down rain from the sky, and forthwith the earth becomes clothed with green? For Allah is All-Subtle, All-Aware." (22:63)
The beauty of life goes on, extending from earth to Paradise, and so should our gratitude. It's a timeless virtue and something to be exercised well beyond Ramadan. This holy period might last only one month, but our empathy for those less fortunate than us and our gratitude for all the blessings we have should last a lifetime.
"If you would count up the favors of Allah, never would you be able to number them, for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (16:18)
Looking at the beauty surrounding me in all its forms eases my mind, purifies my heart, and brings peace to my soul. And for that, I'm forever grateful.
Embrace.
Embrace.




No comments:
Post a Comment