"You may not control all the events that happen to you,
but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
- Maya Angelou -
"I Am"
I am here.
I'm not overcast skies, nor blinding sunlight
But I am somewhere in between
I'm determination that reaches mountain peaks
And love that deepens ocean floors
Complex like the physical world
I won't fit in boxes with predetermined dimensions
Crammed into darkness, stripped of senses
Within tolerance, without acceptance
Deprived of space for growth
I don't care to be tolerated
By those who crave black and white opposites
Day and night contrasts
Mutually exclusive concepts
That forever neglect context
And fuel myths of the oxymoron...
Like "White Muslim Feminist."
Like "White Muslim Feminist."
A nuanced universe requires nuanced descriptions
That exist beyond the diction
Of our common linguistics
So I communicate in colors and metaphors
For they hold more meaning than your empty words
You see my white skin
It's light shining through a prism
Comprised of endless hues
I am blue with pain
And red with hurt
But green with renewal from the earth
A caged bird now free to soar
Rise,
Rise,
Rising
Far above labels that served as limitations
I seek liberation from that place
Where I straddled two worlds in a futile search
For wholeness...
With a fear of time
With a fear of time
Seeking to belong on either side of an arbitrary line
I'm not winter's bitter chill
Nor summer's still warmth
I am a symphony of rain
Living most truly where these points intersect
With the capacity to destroy and replenish
Both beautiful and absolutely imperfect,
I am here.
No comments:
Post a Comment